Police in San Dimas pulled over a florist’s van yesterday and arrested the driver, Karl Rover, for smoking and transporting marijuana. The police got suspicious when Karl remained stopped even after the light had turned green.
One officer asked Karl where he was headed. Grinning broadly, Karl said he was making a delivery. The officer told Karl to turn off the radio, which was blasting rock music. “Dude, this is the Grateful Dead,” Karl groaned.
A moment later, Karl’s cell phone rang. Karl said, “Hey, dude. What’s up?” The officer grabbed the phone from Karl.
“Did you get the cash for the weed?” asked the voice on the other end.
“Yes,” the officer replied, pretending that he was Karl.
“How much did you get?”
“$1,000.”
“$1,000! $1,000! What is the matter with you? That’s $50,000 worth of grass, you idiot! I’m going to kill you!”
The officer laughed when the other person hung up. He went around to the back of the van and opened the doors. Although there were flowers in the back, there were also many plastic bags, each about 12” square, packed tightly with marijuana.
In the cab of the van, a joint was smoldering in the ashtray. The officer took it out of the ashtray and held it up to Karl. “What do you know about this?” he asked Karl.
Grinning, Karl said, “What do I know about it? I know everything about it. I planted it, I watered it, I harvested it, and I rolled it. It’s dynamite weed, dude. Try it!”
The officer brought out his handcuffs. Karl’s grin disappeared. “Hey, at least let me have one more hit!”