A young woman who is a nursing student at Pasadena City College has disappeared. She had just started her final semester, and was planning to graduate two weeks before Christmas. “She is one of our best students,” said Mrs. Nelson, an instructor. “It’s certainly very strange for her to miss class without calling in.”
Annabelle Florence had just moved into a new apartment at the beginning of September. A few classmates had helped her move. After all the boxes, clothes, and furniture were in the new apartment, Florence treated her three friends to a fantastic dinner at Sur la Table, a local French restaurant. Dinner included a couple of delicious—and expensive—bottles of wine. Everyone hugged when the meal was finished, and Florence drove home by herself.
She did not answer or return phone calls the next two days. “I talked to Sara and Jeri. Annabelle had not returned their calls, so I decided to go over to her new place,” said classmate Vicki. “When I got there, her car was in the parking lot. The roof was down on her Miata convertible. I thought that was strange, since it had sprinkled the day before.
“Her apartment door was closed. After I knocked and knocked, I tried the door. It was not even locked. I walked inside, calling her name. There was no answer. I was getting very nervous, especially when I went into the bedroom and the bathroom. But no one was there. All her boxes were unopened, her clothes were still not hung up, and nothing was in the refrigerator.”
The police are investigating. Florence’s credit card has not been used in the last two days, nor have any calls been made from her cell phone during that period. She is simply missing, with no signs of violence and no clues as to where she has gone. “It doesn’t look good,” said one detective.