Gary and Alma were having problems, again.
"But you told me it was okay to call up Carol," said Gary. "I asked you if it was okay to talk to her, because it was her birthday and I've wished her a happy birthday every year for the last 10 years."
"But you had already promised me that you would never call her again. You promised me that. So, you lied to me."
"But I had forgotten that I told you that. You know that I forget things. I'm not going to argue with you; you have a memory like an elephant. But you've got to believe me, I completely forgot. And more important, Carol is just a friend."
"No, she isn't. She's still in love with you."
"But I'm not in love with her. She can love me all she wants, but I'm not in love with her. I never was!"
"Well, you say that. Maybe it's true. Maybe it isn't. But the important thing is that you never know what the future will bring. You say that nothing will happen between you and her, but you don't know that for sure, because you don't know the future."
"Yes, you're right. No one knows the future. I could fall in love with her again, and she and I might run off and get married and have nine or ten kids."
"Again? What do you mean 'again'?"